Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Diner Talk [feedly]



----
Diner Talk
// Gurney Journey

The guy at the counter wears a T-shirt that says, "I speak my mind because it hurts to bite my tongue all the time." He doesn't say a word.

Diner Talk, gouache, 5x8 inches by James Gurney.
Behind me a college girl is talking to her companions. She says, "If I don't have enough Red Bull to get me through the day, I will be pissed." She never stops talking.

The first step in painting the scene is to place the main figure and work out the perspective of the counter, stools, and far wall.

Then I paint the main guy using black gouache fairly transparently. Tip: Before you start painting someone in a restaurant, check their plate. If it's nearly empty they might not be there long.


I begin to introduce some white gouache and build opacity, add detail, and correct errors.
------


----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment