Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Painting Within a Value Gamut [feedly]



----
Painting Within a Value Gamut
// Gurney Journey


Gouache Week continues with a brief trailer / sampler from the feature Gouache in the Wild. This time Jeanette and I are painting an ordinary gas station while our car is being fixed nearby. (Link to Video)

Color gamut, value gamut
In terms of hue, this is a complementary gamut of blue grays vs. yellow-oranges. I leave out reds, except what I can mix with burnt sienna. And I ignore greens, except very dull greens that I can mix with the few colors on the palette.

I also want to classify the tone values, pushing everything to a group of light tones and dark tones. I try to create the painting using the limited number of color notes represented by the swatches below:


Top row. 1. Light/Warm; 2. Light/Neutral; 3 Light/Cool.
Bottom row. 4. Dark/Warm; 5. Dark/Neutral; 6. Dark/Cool.



This Spartan color universe yields a strong value statement and it guards against the dullness that comes from painting everything in middle values.
------
Live streaming event TODAY
Join me this afternoon at 4:00 New York time, June 24 for a live gouache painting demo on ConcertWindow. There will be a chat window so that you can ask questions and interact.

Own the 72 minute feature Gouache in the Wild and be part of the fun
• HD MP4 Download at Gumroad (Get 10% off all Gumroad products this week only at this link$14.95 $13.45
• or HD MP4 Download at Sellfy (for Paypal customers) 10% off this week only $14.95  $13.45
• DVD at Kunaki.com (Region 1 encoded NTSC video) 10% off this week only $24.50.  $22.00


----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment