Friday, October 10, 2014

Painting a Street Scene in Watercolor [feedly]



----
Painting a Street Scene in Watercolor
// Gurney Journey

Here's a video that I made while painting a row of shopfronts in Huntington, Indiana. (Direct link to video)


My first step is to first measure out a reasonably accurate perspective drawing in pencil. I cover the surface with a light ghost wash.

Then I place the watercolor tones with a flat brush. I start with the idea of doing a sepia sketch, but decide to bring in a cerulean/light red combination.


As time runs out, I switch to a brown fountain pen to describe the small, fine linear accents.

Since the fountain pen is water soluble, I can't add further watercolor washes without dissolving the lines. The reason for adding the penwork at the end of the process is that I was more interested in using the pen for selective small accents rather than for boundary lines.
-----
Materials:
Homemade sketchbook pochade easel using adjustable torque hinges
Waterman Phileas fountain pen with brown ink

72- Minute Instructional Video: "Watercolor in the Wild"
More info about the HD download at Sellfy (Paypal) or Gumroad (credit cards)

----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment