Wednesday, August 6, 2014

How to paint seascapes in Oil [feedly]



----
How to paint seascapes in Oil
// Artist's Network

Moonlight Breaker & Foamburst in Oil with Roy Lang
On a trip to Vermont a while ago, my friend and I took a walk along the shores of Lake Champlain. It had been raining all week and the water was choppy, with waves that came up crashing on the rocks. It felt calming and exhilarating all at once; a weird contradiction that only nature can manage to pull off. I dubbed it the lake that thought it was an ocean, though it might have been Champ, Lake Champlain's very own lake monster, agitating the waters. In any case, it felt like a magical place.

FoamonRocksOilFinalNext time I get a chance, I plan on heading back there with a set of paints so I can try and capture the experience. I doubt I'll do it justice, but I will be armed with the knowledge I got about painting waves and water from the art lessons in Moonlight Breaker & Foamburst in Oil.

Make Waves
MidnightWavesOilFinalGet two art lessons in one with these oil painting art videos from award-winning artist Roy Lang, who demonstrates two different approaches to painting seascapes. In the first, learn how to approach the sea at night, a lesson perfect for anyone new to painting the sea. With fewer colors used in this dramatic night scene, you'll be able to focus on learning how to oil paint and developing detailed brushwork, without the distraction of color mixing. If color is what you're interested in, you'll get fantastic lessons for creating foambursts bursting against a rock for a painting filled with vibrant color. In both lessons, you'll learn fantastic oil painting techniques to create a wonderful sense of movement.

You can preview the art lessons below; then head over to ArtistsNetwork.tv for access to the full-length video containing both, materials lists, reviews, and more!

New to Oils? Start here with some FREE lessons!


----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment